(Much more than) a baker's dozen new goodies...
Just in time for May, we're ushering spring in with a plethora of new goodies for our site. Check out all these splendid new fabrics:
- Grandma's Candy Jar: I love the different colored, ColorGrown cotton stripes. Can't you see a set of table linens made out of this fun woven fabric?
- Asparagus Stalk: With asparagus just appearing at our Farmer's Market, how could we not offer a fabric in its honor? This is a crisp, exhilarating fabric enlivened with ColorGrown green stripes.
- Brown Sugar Stripe: Yes, we were hungry when we named these fabrics. But they're delectable, so we really can't be blamed! This one has a great antique feel to it that makes me think of turn-of-the-century (not THIS century, the last one) creations.
- Baby Blue and Magenta Light Interlock: Not quite as light as a feather, but they sure feel close -- these limited-edition, soft fabrics in stylish colors were originally knit for a baby accessories manufacturer but don't let that stop you from using them for the whole family!
- Subtle Pointelle: Though it's ridiculously difficult to photograph or scan (please don't complain to Winnie; I did the best I could!), this is a new and subtle version of that classic pointelle knit that can add interest and distinction to many different uses. I see it being particularly useful for baby clothes, where a normal pointelle design might be overpowering.
- Creamy Stretch Cotton Jersey: Creamy white (rather than the natural you'll usually find in our undyed jerseys, to add more variety to your wardrobe or fabric stash. Excellent for exercise wear.
- Light White 2x1 Rib Knit: Again, a white version of a classic natural fabric. I love this one -- it's soft, interesting, and really pretty.
- Shellgame Hemp/Organic Cotton Twill in Crimson, Moss, and Navy: This pattern is also available on a 100% hemp, but I think I prefer it on the hemp/organic cotton twill because of the softness cotton imparts. It's a fun, modern, large-scale pattern that makes us feel like we're on vacation even when we're not ... what could be better than that?
I think I added more fabrics, but I can't remember them now -- ack! You'll just have to find them yourself! If you're a knitter, check out these fun hemp knitting kits:
- Kathy's Everywhere Tam: So many people at the San Francisco Green Festival were captivated by this pattern, and a lot of Rastafarians wanted it because in the XL size their dreads would fit. That was a use we hadn't even considered, not being Rasta ourselves ... but now we know, and now we can recommend it, should you be looking for a gift for your favorite dread-sporting person.
- Get To Know Hemp Kit: A good way to introduce yourself (or someone special) to knitting with hemp if you've never used it before. The fiber is very different than almost anything else (with the exception of fibers like aloo and can take some getting used to; this is a good way to do so.
- Shop Til You Drop Bag: Perfect for taking to the Farmer's Market or on expeditions (around the block or around the world), this is a fun bag to knit up and a great weekend project.
- Spa and Bath Trio: Combined with a bar of handmade soap, this kit (either knit up or in its undone state) makes for a splendid gift. Hemp shines when made into washcloths and other kinds of bath scrubbies; I strongly suspect that once you start using one you'll never want to stop. (That's what happened to me, many many years ago!)
- The Cool Hemp Ponchette, in Small/Medium or Large/XL: (The difference between the sizes, of course, being that the larger size includes more yarn. Go figure. :) This is a stunning wrap, whether you choose to turn it into a ponchette or leave it in the rectangular form as a shawl. So many people came up to me and asked about it when I wore mine last, so I don't recommend wearing one if you're shy!
If you've made it all the way through the new goodies, here's a treat for you: during the month of May we're going to have several very quick (2-3 day) sales of some of our most popular items. Check back regularly, as you won't want to miss them! We'll announce each sale on our blog, of course.